For Immunology Chapter 7 Day 3
- Discuss the purpose of the VpreB, 5λ, and pre-Tα proteins.
- There are two points in the flow chart of figure 7-11 where a B cell may choose to die. What has to happen to get these two points? Why does the B cell get more “chances to live” when it is attempting to produce its light chain? (The last question should acknowledge “receptor editing” as well as productive gene rearrangement.)
- In what state of maturation would you expect a B cell to produce mostly membrane-bound IgM? Secreted IgM? Membrane bound IgD? Secreted IgD?
- Discovery of the murine TCRβ gene started with a technique called subtractive hybridization. How does this technique work?
- Allelic exclusion is not absolute in T cells. Why would it be unlikely to have a mature T cell with two unique TCRs?
- How were γδ T cells discovered?