Biotechnology Chapter 5 Day 1 Questions
- What is a ribozyme? What does the hammerhead ribozyme do and where did it get its name? How does our definition of ribozyme get violated by hammerhead’s activity? Name a ribozyme that doesn’t violate our ribozyme definition.
- Piwi-interacting RNAs are highly expressed in testes. Given the textbook’s description of these small RNAs, why might this make sense from an evolutionary perspective?
- The book doesn’t talk about CRISPR much, so watch these two videos to learn more:
****Sorry about the image**************
- If a DNA oligonucleotide binds to an RNA target, what might happen? What enzyme (that we been talking about over the past couple of weeks) would do this?
- MicroRNAs regulate gene expression “in trans”. What does this mean? What is the other category of regulation?
- Draw a diagram to show how to create an antisense transcript from a plasmid construct. How could you make a plasmid that makes two RNAs that form a double-stranded RNA?