For Biotechnology course
- Describe a couple of reasons why cDNA is cloned into plasmids when using bacterial protein expression systems rather than genomic sequence for a particular gene.
- How could you remedy a situation where the 5′ end of a cloned gene forms a hairpin structure with the Shine-Delgarno sequence?
- Insulin is first created as preproinsulin in the pancreas. What processing steps occur to arrive at active insulin? How was the production of insulin modified to avoid these processing steps?
- What additional modification(s) can be made to create fast-acting insulin for type I diabetics?
- What additional modification(s) can be made to create slow-acting insulin for type II diabetics?
- Describe two strategies for addressing inefficient codon usage.