For POLS course
Elements and atoms have four links: two are videos and two are text files. Take notes on these and be ready to discuss the following questions in class:
- How many elements are there?
- Name some of the properties that are used to describe characteristics of elements.
- What are the three types of subatomic particles that constitute an atom? Create a chart that describes some characteristics of these subatomic particles.
- What characteristic of an atom defines what element it is?
- Compare “atomic number” and “atomic mass”.
- How do we draw atoms?
- Why is the way we draw electrons a bit misleading?
- Compare isotopes and ions.
- Why does the periodic table say that carbon has an atomic weight of 12.011 amu/daltons?
- What does it mean that carbon-14 has a half-life of 5730 years?