For Immunology Chapter 7 Day 1
- Compare germline and somatic hypermutation theories.
- Hozumi and Tonegawa tested the idea that Ig light chains were a mosaic of variable and constant domains. What does this mean?
- What was Hozumi and Tonegawa’s method for testing this?
- What cells did they use? Why?
- How did their assay work?
- Can you draw a putative genomic map of this?
- If domains are ~110 aa in length. The variable gene segment accounted for 97 aa. Where were the remaining 13 aa coming from?
- What is the reason that gene segments are called V, D, and J? Spend some time discussing the “D” segment name in terms of protein structure