For Immunology Chapter 5 Day 1
- There are a number of proteins and peptides with antimicrobial properties that are produced on skin and mucosal surfaces. Be prepared to teach the other students in the class about:
- Lysozyme and lactoferrin
- S100 proteins and defensins
- Surfactant proteins and cathelicidin
- What sort of problems would a mutation in CD91 presumably cause?
- Chronic granulomatous disease severely impairs the ability of phagocytes to kill ingested microbes. Discuss the products downstream of NADPH oxidase that phagocytes would be unable to generate.
- Discuss “eat me” and “don’t eat me” signals.